A radio The station has suspended a former England footballer as it investigates a ‘disgusting’ tweet after Buckingham Palace announced the Queen’s death.
Ancient Soccer Trevor Sinclair received huge backlash for a tweet just over an hour after Buckingham Palace announced the Queen’s death at Balmoral, saying ‘black and brown’ people shouldn’t mourn the death of the queen.
Following an outcry on social media, talkSPORT said it had launched an investigation while confirming that Mr Sinclair would remain off the air during his execution.
The comment sparked a witch hunt, with some listeners threatening to turn their backs on the radio station by tweeting #BoycottTalkSPORT.
Following news of the Queen’s death on Thursday night, sports stars around the world paid their respects.
Mr Sinclair, whose Twitter account has since been deleted, tweeted: ‘Racism was banned in England in the 60s and allowed to flourish so why should black and brown people cry!’
The station said: “We have attempted to reach out to Trevor Sinclair following views expressed on his Twitter account. talkSPORT does not support these views expressed and is investigating the matter.
He added: “Trevor Sinclair will not be on air while we fully investigate the circumstances and timing of his tweet. While we respect Trevor Sinclair’s right to express his opinion on his personal Twitter account, talkSPORT does not endorse the tweet.”
Former Rangers, Spurs, Chelsea and England star Graham Roberts was among those to condemn the comment, saying talkSPORT should sack Mr Sinclair for what he called a ‘disgraceful’ comment .
Ancient Brexit Party MEP Christina Jordan said: “You don’t speak for black people, brown people or anyone else for that matter. What a shameful and heinous tweet. You should be ashamed but it would force you to have an ounce of decency.”
He was also called out for his remarks by former heptathlete Kelly Sotherton, who won three Olympic bronze medals during her career.
She added: “You should be ashamed of yourself…I have no other suitable words.”
Mr Sinclair, a former QPR and West Ham player who won 12 caps for England between 2001 and 2003, regularly shares a studio with former Crystal Palace owner Simon Jordan, who has criticized the former midfielder Man City pitch for his comments.
“Trev, I’m really not sure this is an appropriate thought, let alone a tweet,” he said.
“The country has lost a very important person and respect and value should be the overriding feelings and not division!”
But he later said his colleague was “not a racist”.
“I said the timing was dreadful. But I hate cancel culture and I won’t defend it. I disagree with him vehemently, but I don’t know him…he’s not racist,” he said. he declared.
On air, he said: “I’m not an apologist for Trevor Sinclair, he comes from a background in his life where he would have faced things painted on the walls like no black people, no dogs, no Irish.
“But posting a tweet like this when a unique moment has happened in the country has left me hugely disappointed. This is not where Trevor Sinclair should want to be, he’s a better man than that.
“There will be a cancel culture building up now. I responded to Trevor with a tweet but kinda regretted it because I wish I had texted him directly. It was a reaction for me going ‘oh no Trevor, that’s not appropriate.'”
But one supporter pointed out that Mr Sinclair sent a message of support to the Queen in 2020, so he was puzzled by her latest tweet.
In April 2020, after the Queen addressed the nation at the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, Mr Sinclair posted: ‘Our Queen looked so fragile when addressing the nation earlier , but she was so genuine with humility, her majesty always inspired.”
Referring to that tweet, the fan wrote, “Things you’ll do to get attention. Pathetic. By the way, what’s changed?”
Mr Sinclair was previously fired by the BBC in 2018 after racially assaulting a police officer who arrested him for drunk driving.
Mr Sinclair had been a regular analyst on Football Focus and Match of the Day since retiring from the game in 2008, but the BBC said he was employed on a freelance basis and had ‘not planned to use in our programs”.
Anti-racism charity Kick It Out said at the time that racism was “all the more regrettable and unacceptable when it is perpetrated by individuals who should know better”.
Mr Sinclair had worked for another campaign group, Show Racism The Red Card.
Mr Sinclair, then 44, pleaded guilty to drunk driving and a racially aggravated public order offense on November 12 last year. He was sentenced to 150 hours of community service for disturbing public order and a 20-month driving ban.
The prosecution dropped other charges, including assault on a police officer, failure to provide a specimen and criminal damage.
Nick Freeman, representing Sinclair, said the catalyst for his behavior that night had been the victim of racism in front of his family as he ate a meal hours earlier.